Friday, July 18, 2014

Relief

So it's not Lupus or Autoimmune! Blood work came back looking good, my iron is up, not where it should be but definitely an improvement.  We discussed treatment for fibromylagia, a low dose of a specific anti-depressant shown to reduce the pain of fibromyalgia signifcantly, gentle exercise and a chronic pain course.  We are testing for lymes disease as well, based on a very severe reaction my body had to what looked like a bug bite a few years ago.  My sleep study will be on the 28th then if everything goes well with the blood test and sleep study I should be appointment-free for a month :).

I remember wishing it wasn't fibromyalgia, because there is still so little known about it, and it flares up so suddenly, but after hearing that my symptoms may be from an autoimmune disorder...well I breathed a sigh of relief when my nurse said that it was looking like fibromyalgia was the culprit. At least with fibromyalgia you know the pain isn't signifying injury or sickness, with autoimmune, you are acutely aware that your own immune system is attacking your organs.  Pain sucks, but pain with fear is much worse.

I have more hope now.  Now I have a plan.  The medication is suppose to take 4-6 weeks to really work, just in time for my online courses to start.  I was getting scared to commit to anything, and there's still going to be things that I can't commit to for another month or so just in case I  have a "bad" pain day.  I'm also going to have to learn to say "No." to more things in the future so that I don't stress myself out and cause another flare-up.

Thanks to everyone who has offered me help, massages, an ear to listen or eyes to read.  I still may need to call upon you while I wait for the treatment to kick-in.