Monday, February 29, 2016

The Flu

The flu is going around our house, first our housemate, then my daughter, now my son and I am seriously exhausted with a sinus headache from hell...so I guess I'm next.

I took a day off work.  Yep.  I even took it easy on the home Ed front.  I took a nap.  I ate easy food (some junky, some with leafy green and avocado goodness).  I didn't hesitate to take care of myself.  I didn't feel guilty calling my coworker to fill in for me.  I know what happens when I don't listen to my body when it tells me to take a break, emotional or physical.  This "suck it up, buttercup." mentality is so damaging to our health as a society.  It's also a sign of low self worth.

Yeah, when I was in my teens and early twenties I could pop some cold meds and push through just about anything.  But I have kids now, I have to be fairly alert.  I can't push myself to the point of desperate exhaustion then come home and make dinner hoping I don't set the house on fire in my stupor.

Becoming so ill was one of the best things that ever happened to me.  Getting my health back and seeing how healing just listening to my body's requests was so enlightening.  Listening to your body heals you in two ways: 1) Physically: You get the rest/nutrition/excersize your body needs. 2) Emotionally: You acknowledge your right to feel healthy, you show yourself your worth, you learn how to put your health needs first.  You learn about the importance of boundaries.

Fibromyalgia healed me.