Thursday, April 21, 2016

Reminder

I forgot.  I forgot what I really wanted in my life.  I began to focus on the necessities and day to day living. My zest for life was fading, and so was my energy.  Little (and not so little) stuff was becoming consuming and though I could find small joys through out the day I knew I had lost something.  I meditated for an hour or two a day.  I worked through some emotional baggage from my last relationship (man, I'm getting good at that).  I realized I was beginning to focus too much attention on the possibilities of a romantic match.  Dating is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's best done when you don't feel you are lacking in some way.   I kept putting out there this desire to have an adventure with someone.  I forgot that someone could be me.

I'm not even sure what triggered the thought of taking off early and heading East rather than West, oh wait... It was that I had left my sexy leather jacket in Tofino.  My cousin told me to come by and get it.  I was like, why not take a trip earlier?  It might actually work out for the best that way.  So my kids and I gathered around the iPad and began to look up flight costs.  We decided that this vacation we would visit my sister in St.John's  instead of my cousin on Vancouver island.  Both Coasts in a 9 month span... not bad.

I promised myself that I would never take my freedom to travel for granted again.  That my work would not become my life.  Granted, having a job with a company as flexible as the one I work for is one of the reasons I can travel, yet another reason why my toy store job is awesome.

I stopped treating life like the miracle it is.  I forgot my purpose here is to experience, not to simply "get by".  When I first left my last relationship, I knew exactly the kind of life I wanted to live.  My focus was going to be on travel and rebuilding my bond with my children.  It was going to be about freedom.  I went out today and bought an even sexier leather jacket, I hear the wind can be chilly coming off the Atlantic in June.