Sunday, January 31, 2016

Dinner With A Friend

I have this great friend, she is honest, open, and has a great sense of humour when it comes to our human faults, or as she would have me call them, opportunities for growth.  We laugh at the recognition of our egos flaring in situations, she is wonderful at helping you see situations from a larger perspective.  She also doesn't shy away from harsh truths.  She delivers them with compassion, but delivers them none the less.

I told her about my fears, about my boundary issues.  I referred to them as symptoms of my damage.
"Sweetheart," she said looking me in the eye."language matters, damage is the word of a victim, you are not a victim, you are a survivor.  You aren't damaged, you are facing an opportunity for growth."

If you find a friend who can look you in the eye, tell you a hard truth and uplift you at the same time. Cherish that person.  They are priceless.